04 September, 2008

I feel like a babysitter

Today I babysat A+ certification classes and intuitive calculus. I don't know what either of those are. After watching the students do the assignments I still don't understand even a little.  Every different class that I have has at least one student who tries to spend the period telling me how good the school is and how hard they work and at least 5 students who make inappropriate racial or sexual jokes. 
Meanwhile, elsewhere, at the public Exeter an unofficial statistic- 7 freshmen got jumped in attempts to steal their ipods or cellphones, TODAY. This is the 1st school I've spent time in here that doesn't have metal detectors and no one seems to care about enforcing the no electronics during class rule. There are usually security guards around, but I guess in such a large building they can't be everywhere...

In other news, high holidays are approaching. If I had furniture I would have to sell it to pay for tickets. But I have found a synagogue I really like going to, and even met some other teaching fellows there (we are everywhere). And then there's this...

1 comment:

BA said...

sounds like you're having more adventures than i am. my school is tough, and we have a good record of fights and shit, but nothing serious yet this year. the gang activity is crazy, though. crazy enough to make me reconsider moving to crown heights to be closer to my job...

anyway, the high holidays will be more fun in new york. you'll get to celebrate with new people.

...in other news, i don't appreciate my music being called african goyeish garbage. but i guess it's better than being called a schwartze golem, etc.

hurry up and find a job. i'd like to hang out with you before halloween if possible.